Basic Needs and Resources
Basic Needs - Food, Clothing, Housing
The Student Resource Center advocates for a campus community that actively nurtures the physical, intellectual, social, and personal development of its student body. To assist students with their academic journey, the Student Resource Center connects students to physical resources such as the campus food pantry, clothing closet, and child care. Additional services are available for first generation and non-traditional students.
- Blazer Pantry: The on campus food pantry available to faculty, staff, and students experiencing food insecurity. The purpose of the Food Pantry is to decrease student food insecurity, increase healthy eating choices, and help improve student retention. Click HERE for pantry information.
- Clothing Closet: New to campus this year is the Clothing Closet. The purpose of this resource is to assist in providing basic necessities for students. Access to the Clothing Closet is through the Student Resource Center at 435-879-4489 or firstname.lastname@example.org or office #106 and #107.
- To assist students with access to financial resources, the Student Resource Center is available to help students apply for WIC and SNAP benefits.
- Come & Get It: Supports students by providing free food and reducing food waste on campus. Students can opt in to this service to receive text messages when extra meals are available from catered events on campus. Click HERE to register for this service.
The Student Resource Center offers a variety of other services. Please see a member of our team for assistance. Additional services include:
- Childcare, family support, and non-traditional student support
- Help with navigating technology resources on campus
- FAFSA guidance
- Housing referrals
- Scholarship exploration and technology grants
- Sexual assault and domestic violence advocacy
- Feminine hygiene supplies
- Access to campus Mother’s Rooms
Childcare for Students
The purpose of Utah Tech’s Legal Clinic is to provide FREE one-on-one instruction & assistance to students on an array of legal topics:
- Dating Violence
- Domestic Violence
- Food Stamps
- Family Employment Programs
- Social Security
- Consumer (Bankruptcy; Credit Reports; Debt Collection; Exempt Property; Foreclosure; Identity Theft)
- Estate Plans & Senior
Through a partnership with the Southern Utah Bar Association, attorneys come to campus and provide free legal advice to Utah Tech University students.
Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month from 5pm to 7pm.
Community Resource Hub
The United Way provides a collaborative list of resources for Utah. Search by city or zip code for resources in your area. United Way sponsors the 211Utah app for easy access.
Recent data shows that as many as 3 in 5 U.S. college are experiencing basic needs insecurity, ranging from financial, medical and mental health services, housing insecurity, food insecurity and other forms of insecurity. Utah Tech University and Washington County have a number of available resources. Please use the link below for a list of available resources.
Aid and Scholarships
Find out scholarship opportunities from the community and the state (e.g. AAUW Scholarship, PEO Scholarship) offered to female students. COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIPS
AAUW Scholarship – American Association of University Women St George Branch advances equity for women and girls in Southern Utah through philanthropy, advocacy, and education. Each year we award scholarships, up to $1,000 each, to eligible female Utah Residents in the greater St George area who demonstrate a financial need and ability to finish their degree(Bachelors or Masters).
Utah PEO – P.E.O. (Philanthropic Educational Organization) is an organization of women, by women and for women. It supports women through friendships and the bonds of sisterhood and through educational scholarships, grants, awards, and loans.
High Impact Student Scholarship – This scholarship is designed to improve student success by providing financial assistance to UT students participating in high impact practices. This will cover no more than 50% of the total cost with a maximum amount of $500. Application Form
Careers and Internships – The Utah Tech University Career Center serves as the local, regional, and national career networking hub for students, alumni, employers and the community.
- UT Coronavirus website
- UT Resources for Women Info Sheet
- 2021 College Scholarships for Women (Note: Please vet — this link is not from UT Financial Aids and Scholarships office.)
- “7 Teacher Resources That Address Gender Equality” from American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- 50 Great Career Resources for Women in Healthcare Administration and Management by Iris Stone
- “Americans Working Abroad: One Woman’s Tale” by Daphne Selbert, former Dean of UT Library
- “Benefits of Completing College” — from Utah Women and Education Initiative
- “Bring a Friend to Finish — Return, Learn, and Earn” a.k.a. BFF Initiative
- Career Guide for STEM: featuring paths of study, specializations, job options, as well as an interview with a woman with 23 years of experience working in STEM.
- “Changing the Curve: Women in Computing” — Infographic from UC Berkeley
- “Coaching for Success: Authenticity and Accountability Bring Out the Best” by Dorothy Allred Solomon
- Coding Resources for Women at Every Stage of Their Career
- College Success for Women in STEM
- Courage, Hope and Your Finances: Financial Help for Women in Abusive Relationships
- Current State of Women in Computer Science
- Gender Equity, Mentoring, and Leadership Resources by Kristine L. Blair, Professor of English, Bowling Green State University
- Girls in Computer Science by Community for Accredited Online Schools
- Girls in STEM
- “Graduating as a Single Parent” by Mary Lloyd Barth, Retired Nonprofit Director, Program Administrator, Grant Writer
- Guide for Single Parents Starting a Business by Western Governors University
- Guide for Women in Stem: Closing the Gender Gap: This resource discusses common issues that women in the STEM fields face, why women should pursue STEM careers, closing the gender gap, and resources for women in STEM.
- Guide to Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Programs Aimed at Women by Maryville University Online
- “Guide to Scholarships and Financial Aid for Women” from Lisa Wright, Public Relations Coordinator of Affordable Colleges.com (Note: Please vet — this link is not from UT Financial Aids and Scholarships office.)
- History of Women and Computers
- “How to Be a Charismatic Leader” by the University College London – School of Management
- Huggable Supermom Scholarship – College Award (Note: Please vet — this link is not from UT Financial Aids and Scholarships office.)
- “Mentoring Digital Narratives as Feminist Rhetorical Practices” by Florence Elizabeth Bacabac in Computers and Composition Online, vol. 16, no. 1, 2018, cconlinejournal.org/bacabac/index.html.
- Minorities in STEM: Increasing Diversity Guide
- “Paying for Education” resources list from Allstate Foundation
- “Principles of Mentorship” by Terri Metcalf-Peterson
- “Realm of Possibility”, etc. VIDEO CLIPS — from Utah Women and Education Initiative
- Relationship/Domestic Violence Toolkit for Educators by Gender-Based Violence and Fight Against Domestic Violence — Special acknowledgements to the authors and co-creators of the toolkit: Brooke Muir (Fight Against Domestic Violence), Heather Harris, Dr. Jessie Lynn Richards (University of Utah), Dr. Annie Isabel Fukushima (University of Utah), and Diane Le Strain (University of Utah).
- Resources for KUED Women And Girls Lead
- Resources for Meaningful Work — Ted Talks, StoryCorps & Books recommended by Martha Ham, LCSW
- Resources for Women in Business
- “Response and Responsibility” by Courtney Cannon, DOVE Center Education Coordinator
- STEM and STEAM Career Guide for Women, Minorities, and People with Disabilities by Grantham University
- “Sustaining a Culture for Feminist Mentoring: A Plan for Action” by Kristine L. Blair, Professor of English, Bowling Green State University
- The Complete Guide to Business Ownership for Female Entrepreneurs
- The Confidence Gap by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman (May 2014)
- The Impact of Mentorship on Novice Nursing Faculty by Jennifer J. Harrington BSN, RN
- The Well-Being of Women in Utah: An Overview by Cynthia Hess, Ph.D., Claudia Williams (May 2014)
- Utah Women and Leadership Project — Utah State University
- Utah Women and Leadership Project Research Snapshots and Videos.
- Utah Women and Leadership Project Research and Policy Briefs
- Utah Women in STEM — Research & Policy Brief from Utah Women and Education Initiative
- WeeCare: Childcare benefits for the modern family (for employees of Utah Tech University) — WeeCare is your personal concierge for finding full-time, licensed, quality early education that is near your neighborhood.
- Women and Money Resource Page by Karen McMullin, Investor Education Coordinator of Utah Division of Securities
- Women Breaking Barriers: a series about high-profile women in traditionally underrepresented roles, featuring interviews with successful professionals in STEM, venture capital, and other industries who offer advice and share their experiences being the only women in the room.
- “Women in Aviation: Past, Present and Future”: This resource explores the history and influence of women in aviation, looking at some big names throughout the ages and then reviewing some sobering statistics about the current state of women in aviation.
- Women in Computer Science
- Women in Cybersecurity: This resource is a deep dive into 35+ initiatives that should prove helpful for women exploring a career in this rapidly growing area.
- Women in Mining (be sure to click the Women in Mining tab): stories from women in the mining industry, STEM resources, and content to inspire women to enter male-dominated fields like mining engineering
- Women in STEM: an editorial exploration on the state of women in STEM with several interviews from women in the industry and a collection of scholarships.
- Women Out West (WOW): Professional Artists of Utah
- UT Women’s Resource Center and Student Inclusiveness Videos (2020)
- UT Women’s Resource Center Online Blender Services/Events Information with the Women’s Resource Center Staff, Zoom Webinar, March 3, 2021, 12 – 1 p.m.
- “AAUW – St. George: Opportunities for Women” by the American Association of University Women (AAUW) – St. George Branch, Holland Centennial Commons 550, February 21, 2018, 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- “Finding Your Voice” with Prof. Susan Ertel, UWHEN-UT President Elect and Associate Professor of English, Gardner Conference Room D, October 23, 2015, 11: 00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- “International Women in Focus” in collaboration with Dixie Forum, Introduction by Dr. Florence Elizabeth Bacabac (WRC director) and Panelists Dr. Leonor Ceballos (Spain), Dr. Chizu Matsubara (Japan), Dr. Theda Wrede (Germany), and Prof. Olga Pilkington (Russia), Browning 101 – Dunford Auditorium, September 22, 2015, 12 – 12:50 p.m.
- “Mentoring Future Researchers: Identifying and Fostering Potential” with Dr. Olga A. Pilkington, Asst. Professor of English and Asst. Director of Undergraduate Research Program (Zoom Webinar, September 23, 2020, 2-3 p.m.)
- Mentoring Panel Discussion, Holland Centennial Commons 550, March 23, 2018, 11 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
- PEO Scholarships for Women by Philanthropic Educational Organization (PEO) Utah State Chapter, Zoom Webinar, January 27, 2021, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- “Preparing Yourself to Influence and Lead” with Dr. Susan Madsen, Orin R. Woodbury Professor of Leadership & Ethics at Utah Valley University (Gardner Cottam Conference Room, October 5, 2016, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
- “Raising the (Wo)mentoring Bar” with Donna Dillingham-Evans, Special Assistant to the Provost at Utah State University; Terry Metcalf-Peterson, Academic Advisor of Communication Studies at Utah Tech University; and Sondra Fraleigh, Professor Emeritus of Dance and Somatic Studies at SUNY-Brockport (Holland 537 – Zion Room, August 19, 2016, 1 – 2:30 p.m.)
- “Response and Responsibility” with Courtney Cannon, DOVE Center Education Coordinator, Zoom Webinar, April 7, 2021, 12 – 1 p.m
- “Succeeding as a Woman in STEM” with Karen Purcell, author of Unlocking Your Brilliance (Dunford Auditorium, November 4, 2013, 12-1 p.m.)
- “Sustaining a Culture for Feminist Mentoring: A Plan for Action” with Dr. Kristine Lisa Blair, Professor of English at Bowling Green State University, BGSU Center for Leadership’s 2014 Women of Distinction Awardee, and Editor of Computers and Composition and Computers and Composition Online (Holland 537 – Zion Room, August 22, 2014, 1-2:30 p.m.)
- “Women Entrepreneur Stories: Mentoring” with the Women’s Business Center of Utah, Zoom Webinar, February 3, 2021, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- “Women and Money: Earn, Save, and Invest” with Karen S. McMullin, Investor Education Coordinator of Utah Division of Securities (Zoom Webinar, November 4, 2020, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- “Women Entrepreneur Stories: Mentoring” with the Women’s Business Center of Utah, Zoom Webinar, February 3, 2021, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- “Women in the Humanities” in collaboration with Dixie Forum with Panelists Dr. Florence Elizabeth Bacabac (Rhetoric), Dr. Melanie Hinton (Humanities), and Dr. Amijo Comeford (Literature), Browning 101 – Dunford Auditorium, September 20, 2016, 12 – 12:50 p.m.
- “Conversations on Mentoring” with Dr. Donna Dillingham-Evans, Dean of Utah State University-Toole and former executive vice president and VP of academic services of Utah Tech University (Holland 537 – Zion Room, August 16, 2013, 1-2 p.m.)
Women's Groups and Advocacies
- WorkSmart – Combat the gender pay disparity through education.
- UT Women-friendly Clubs/Organizations
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) – St. George (UT Branch)
- DOVE Center and Erin Kimball Foundation (now with DOVE Center)
- Fight Against Domestic Violence
- Gender-based Violence Consortium (University of Utah)
- Philanthropic Educational Organization – Utah State Chapter
- Recovery Centers for Women
- The Younique Foundation
- Trauma Help for Women
- Utah Women and Education Initiative
- Utah Women and Leadership Project
- Utah Women, Infants, and Children
- Utah Women in Higher Education Network (UWHEN)
- Utah Women in Higher Education Network – UT Chapter (UWHEN-UT)
- Utah Women’s Centers Coalition
- Women’s Business Center of Utah
- Women’s Influence Network